Decorating & Furniture/Long entry room

Hi Rachel,

We bought a house that has a very long entry room that was previously used as a formal living/ formal dining room.  Past the great room is a family room and eat in kitchen.  

I was thinking about using the entry space as the living/tv room, the back space as the formal dining (there is a fireplace and I've always though fireplaces in the dining room are neat) but don't know 1) how to use the very long/high ceiling space and 2) what to do with the eat in kitchen area if the dining room connects to it.

Here is a link to the virtual tour.  I like more modern items than what are represented in the pictures.  

Any thoughts at all are very much appreciated!

I like the idea of putting the dining room where the fireplace is. For some ideas on how to decorate a tall space check out this posting I did recently.
I am not sure if I understand your second question. Cant you just have a formal dining where the fireplace is and and a breakfast nook near the kitchen? Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Rachel Mallon

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book