Decorating & Furniture/Long-narrow-hall-probs

My living room is 10 ft x 30 ft and is definetely a long hall. Currently we use only one part as a sitting area with one of the sides as a bar-counter adjoning the kitchen.  
The other part of the hall also has the main door, the balcony door, the bedroom door and the toilet door and we've currently just lined up single chairs. But it doesn't seem to work. Please help!!!!

Here are a couple of suggestions.  First, consider using the  other part of the "hall" as a game table area with a round table and chairs placed out in the room far enough for people to comfortably walk around the table, and so that it or its chairs do not hinder traffic to and from the doors.  The second option, and the one I would prefer if it were my room is two upholstered, large chairs facing each other with an ottoman in between (for feet or to use as a spare seat/table) plus a couple of floor lamps and you've created a comfy reading nook.  

To visually widen the space, use mirrors opposite the window to reflect light and visually create space.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology