Decorating & Furniture/Lounge Colour Scheme

Question
Our lounge is long and narrow 4 x 4.7m.  We have ordered a two and three seater settee in Madras Brown which is qite dark.  We need to choose new carpet and paint for the walls and woodwork.  The room is south facing so is quite light.  We have a fireplace at the end of the room, which is to be removed and a logburner fitted.  We have four wall lights which I want to change to something a little better.  I prefer subtle lights, than bright lights. I am looking for a colour scheme that is light and airy, but having difficulty choosing the right carpet colour, and paint for the walls and woodwork. I need carpet that will not show marks easily, as I have small grandchildren who visit and make a mess, and a partner who is not as house proud as me, and does not always wipe his feet, and puts his coffee cup on the carpet!  Any suggestons would be much appreciated.

Answer
Consider a soft blue shade for the walls, and opt for a textured berber carpet that incorporates all the colors (flecks of  color) in the room.  If you use any solid color carpet, it WILL show marks easily.  

Woodwork - I'd paint white or off-white.  Lighting should be on a dimmer switch so that if you need bright task lighting or mood lighting, it's only a knob turn away.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik