Decorating & Furniture/Low Ceilings

Our home is a 50's CA ranch.  The ceilings in the original part of the house are only a little over 7 feet high:  I can touch the ceiling on tiptoe (I am 5'6" tall).
 Eventually, we plan a major remodel, including vaulting the ceilings to follow the roof pitch.  But, in the meantime, to make the place seem less cave-like, can you tell me if painting the wall and ceiling the same color will help or hurt?  And if placing some narrow crown molding will make the wall look taller or not?
  Thank you very much for your input.

Dear Lisabet,
    To make the walls feel like their taller than they are then I would paint a lighter color on the walls and ceiling the same color. If you do not want to do this then I would paint the ceiling white to make it feel like it is not so heavy. I would say no for the crown molding if you were to paint either of the ways above. Adding molding will break up the feeling of an open space. And if you were to paint the ceiling white and the crown molding is usually white then it would only make the walls feel less tall. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any more questions.

Rachel Mallon

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book