Decorating & Furniture/Mahogany doors and floor

Hi Andrea,
Our house has really nice internal mahogany doors, massive, quality items, but... it creates a dark atmosphere in combination with existing mahogany floors. My question is: if we want to keep the doors and not paint them over (I would not be able to live with myself if ruined them) and replace the floors, which wood/ colour would you recommend for a lighter feel?

thanks so much

It really depends Xenia what kind of floor covering you prefer.

If you are trying to add a bit of warmth and light, you may want to consider a light coloured carpet - biscuit, beige, oatmeal.

I think this would be my preferred option as I am not a big fan of mixing different types of wood.

Kind regards,

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston

I am happy to answer questions regarding decorating, use of colour, soft furnishings ideas etc. I love quick and easy ideas that help people like me - short of time, money and sewing skills! I own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

I have been involved in the decoration and preparation of a number of vacation rental properties where making a property look a million dollars whilst only spending a few pounds is very important.

I have had a number of articles printed and have been prolific on various vacation home owner forums. A lot of my ideas are featured on my website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

My whole career has been in the travel industry working everywhere from UK travel agencies and London Heathrow Airport to a 5 star European resort - La Manga Club. I have extensive experience with vacation rental property and own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit