Decorating & Furniture/Maple cabinets..,, brazilian cherry flooring

Hello, Im in the process of remodeling my 8x7 kitchen. I chose maple cabinets and brazilian cherry flooring that runs from my dining area into the kitchen. Is there too much contrast between these colors?The floor seems dark.What color countertops? What color paint should I use on the walls. UGH!!! I need help.... Thank you for any help at all!!

Hi Carmine,

Thanks for writing.  To minimize the contrast between the two woods, use a medium to dark color countertop.  This will make the contrast look deliberate and purposeful.  The walls can really be any color you particularly like, and I'd keep it in a mid-range color value, so that there is contrast between the light cabinets and the wall color. You can add accessories to the space in the same or similar color as your walls  - or you can bring in the rich tones of the flooring in accessories.  Remember the eye always goes to color.  

Don't worry about the contrast between the wood tones.  Once the room is painted and accessorized, it will undoubtedly be beautiful.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology