Decorating & Furniture/Maple cabinets, maple trim, -- paint color??

Our house is 2 years old and we still haven't figured out what color to paint our kitchen walls.  We have maple cabinets that go to the ceiling and maple colored trim throughout the house.  We have Mannington Sistina 41096 (Canyon Sunstone) vinyl flooring in the kitchen and the countertops are a Greenish/Gray color called Galvan 4678-60.  The backsplash is also maple wood too.  Our carpet in the house is a Moss Green color (very earthy toned.)  I made valances with red/green/cream stripes in the kitchen/living room because the kitchen is decorated with red/green apple decorations.  I was thinking of using red, but with our dark carpet in the room next to the kitchen, it seems too dark.  I'm leaning towards neutral tones of beiges or grays, or maybe a nice green color, but didn't want to feel as if we have too much green.  The biggest problem is figuring out the color since the trim we have is a light maple color.  Any suggestions?

Since you're already invested in red/green/cream, I'd opt for either a shade of red, or a shade of green for the kitchen.  Red will naturally be a warmer tone, while green is a cool tone.  You do not have to go "pure red" or "pure green" either.  There are many shades of both colors that will blend in.

Look toward the "cranberry" shades of red, and stay in the "mossy" shades of green.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology