Decorating & Furniture/Marble in kitchen

I'm in the process of selecting a countertop surface. My first choice is white marble.  I have heard all the "experts" suggest that marble is not the best for a kitchen, and they steer me to granite.  I really dislike the look of granite, so that won't be an option for me, however, I'm beginning to get a little suspicious about the push away from marble.  Hasn't marble survived the centuries in very public places?  So many working kitchens of designers in magazines show marble on the countertop.   By the way, my main prep, cook and cleanup will be a 7' maple butcher block island.  I've tested ketchup, coffee, & balsamic vinegar on my sample, and it seems to clean up right away.  I haven't taken a hammer to the sample, but I doubt that anything really heavy will hit my counter.  What's the real story ?

The real story is that it is porous and will absorb stains like red wine, tomato anything and sauces that contain any vinegar or worchestershire.  It can be cleaned, and it can be sealed, but it still requires more care than other surfaces.  If you want marble, get marble.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology