Decorating & Furniture/Master Bedroom/Bath

I need help in trying to figure out what color to paint my master bedroom/bath. The problem is that my furniture is very mix-matched, and it's all I have to work with. I don't want to redo any furniture. The room is about 11 x 13 and has a tray ceiling with a large window that provides lots of natural sunlight. The furniture consists of a king size bed with a victorian style wrought iron headboard and footboard. The headboard is high so I am considering removing it and using the footboard (which is much lower) for the headboard. Large pillows could conceal it if desired. The TV stand is traditional style cabinet in a dark wood. I also have a 1950's dresser that has been refinished many times and is currently a greenish/whitewashed look. One of the other pieces of furniture that I need to work around is a fainting couch. It is fairly simple in design and has a burgundy tweed upholstery. I would really like to keep it in the room because it is used often.
I need help deciding what color to paint the bedroom and bathroom. I also need help with what style and color bedspread to use. Finally, my dresser does not have a matching mirror so I need help deciding what to hang over it.

The tweed in the couch is subtle and would probably blend with any type of brown, greens, gold, etc.

I have considered painting the room a golden color with burgundy trim around the tray in the bedroom (and coordinating the bathroom to match)
I get lost on the bedspread color at this point.

I have considered painting the walls a taupe color and incorporating chocolate brown accents.

I have condired painting the walls a muted shade of green and incorporating matching accents.

Any ideas you can offer are appreciated!

You need to paint the rooms in a color or colors that you love being around.  From your question, you appear to like shades of brown.  To ease your nervousness about painting, why not consider a taupe for the walls?  It will coordinate well with what you have and you can then try to incorporate all those other colors (fainting couch, dresser, iron etc.) in the bed linens.  Paint your bath in the same or a slightly darker shade of the taupe, and use bright white towels or even dark chocolate.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology