Decorating & Furniture/Matching??

Our living room and dining room are one big room with a 12 ft ceiling.  As soon as you walk in our house you see the living room and dining on the left side and right in front is the staircase to the 2nd floor.  On the right is a small hallway to the kitchen and bedroom.  Our railing is oak.  We are very modern when it comes to decorating the house.  We are wanting to add a real dark chocolate bamboo flooring in the dining room and the entry way to the hallway, keep in mind we are keeping the carpet in the living room.   My problem is.. my husband thinks it will be fine having a oak railing with chocolate flooring.  I think it will look bad... I say replace the railing... or stain it darker. Is anyone adding dark hardwood floors with light railings??????

I think since there are two different tones of wood it will be fine. I wouldn't add another wood tone though. Try to keep it consistent with these two tones of wood and consider balance as well when deciding where to place things.

Rachel Mallon

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book