Decorating & Furniture/Matching Wall Color to Rug and Chairs

My husband has a small, 10x12 office room in our home with a 5x8 rug over hardwoods. The rug background color is a pale, greenish-yellowish-cream (the best way to describe it!). It also has deep gray-greens, a deep copper, and brick-red in it. Two upholstered chairs in the room share the deeper gray-green, the deep copper and brick-red colors.  Although the primary color that telegraphs from the chairs is a maroon and brick red, they also have a definite lighter gold-wheat-straw running through the fabric. I would like to use this latter color on the walls to liven, brighten and add a sunnier aspect to the room, but I feel it will clash with the background color of the rug.  And since it doesn't match any color in the rug at all, I feel the rug will suddenly become an "also-ran" in the room that doesn't seem to fit. I have tried a deep, soft gray-green to accent the entry door wall and both sides of the back window, and the color is an awesome match and we love it; but my husband feels if we paint all four walls in that color the room will be too dark (I agree). Plus, I think an all-green room with little light could become depressing. I also tried a greeny-yellow-cream color, to match the rug background color, on two walls but it comes across way to acidic and makes the room feel yucky; plus it doesn't go with the chairs at all!. What do you suggest for my wall colors? THANKS!!!

It sounds as though you should use your "gray-green" accent as just that, and paint the other walls in a taupe.  My favorite is a shade similar to your description of "wheat-straw" without the gold and it's a Glidden color named "Toasty Grey".  It isn't grey at all, but more of a "greyed down" version of toast.  Check it out.  It makes a wonderful neutral and allows other colors to take precedence.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology