Decorating & Furniture/Metal Stair Railing

Thanks for taking a shot at this, we have a raised ranch on a very large lot. We love the house but some of it is outdated.  The railing that goes from the foyer to the upper level and lower level is painted in off white and badly needs updating.  We have very nice wood stairs that we just had refinished and now the railing looks worse than ever.  We have a painter coming to paint the trim and backs on the stairs (White with white trim in the house) and also paint the railing and I just want some help on choosing a color to paint them or a finish.  The house is done in lots of natural colors like tan, yellow and red with some greens and I am tempted to do what I saw someone say may look nice a bronze but I am worried it will call too much attention to it and that it is not a pretty enough railing for that and wanted to know if you have ever done one and what you have seen that came out nice.

The railing itself is kinda pretty just shabby, it has a grape and leaf design about every 4 spindles and teh spindles are very thin about 1/2 square style.

Thanks a bunch,

I would suggest painting it white to make it blend in more. If you want to create more contrast paint it a light brown. Painting it bronze is going to create more attention to it. You can send an image to and I can give you a better answer if needed. Good Luck.  

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book