Decorating & Furniture/Mixing Wood

Question
My husband and I are purchasing a house with an open floor plan.  The kitchen, breakfast nook, and great room is all one big open space.  My question is should the furniture match the natural oak cabinets in the kitchen or should I go with my personal taste of dark cherry wood?

Answer
Hi Jamie

If it was my home, I would either go with the oak colour in all the rooms or replace the kitchen cabinets with a darker wood.

It is always difficult in an open plan home but I do think it could look a bit 'unplanned' if you keep the oak in the kitchen then have something copmpletely different in the other rooms.

Be careful though if you go with the dark cherry as too much dark wood can be a bit overpowering.

Kind regards,

Andrea

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston