Decorating & Furniture/Mixing Woods

My husband and I are purchasing a house with an open floor plan.  The kitchen, breakfast nook, and great room is all one big open space.  My question is should I purchase furniture to match the natural oak cabinets in the kitchen or go with my personal taste of dark cherry wood for the dining set, entertainment center, etc.?

Hi Jamie,
Well I think you should go with the natural oak cabinets, the reason being that if you buy furniture of dark cherry wood color then it might not really go well with your kitchen design and over and above that its an open space so your kitchen can not at all be neglected.

So what I suggest you is that you go for furniture of natural oak however to give your rooms a good contrasting look ( if at all required ) you may go for light colored sofa sets. But then again that would depend on the kind of flooring that you are having.

If you feel like you can also send me a pic of your rooms (if its ok with you)at, so that will help me have a better idea. But as far as what I see from your mail you may go with furniture to match your kitchen.

Hope I helped you good.

Take Care,

Decorating & Furniture

Sarthak Bartaria

Ask me anything that concerns the way you should design the interiors so that that they improve the ambience of your house. I can very well help you out with the ways you should use those furnitures which you thought were useless. Ask me before throwing anything from your house, may be I can help you use it better

I am in this business since past 3 years in Mumbai, India. I have a personal firm where we help people with the interior decorations of their house and offices.

Dimploma in Interior Designing from the National Institute of Designing