Decorating & Furniture/Mixing styles

Question
We have a guest bedroom that currently is furnished in white cottage
furnishings, and seaside colors (white and blue).  The bed needs replacing
and we recently displaced our traditional mahogany 4 poster bed.  Can we
mix and match the white beadboard painted furnishings (armoire and
nightstands) with a traditional dark 4 poster bed?  
Thanks for any advice!

Answer
I would Teresa.

It sounds to me like the bed is a real 'feature' piece of furniture that deserves prominence in a room and therefore I see nothing wrong in using it in your otherwise white room.

If you feel it doesn't look quite right, perhaps you can use the colour of the wood as a bit of an accent colour and have  a small mahogany chair in the corner of the room (with a blue and white seat pad) if there is space or add a little bit of dark brown into your soft furnishings somewhere with maybe a couple of blue, white and dark brown pillows on the bed.

Kind regards

Andrea

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston