Decorating & Furniture/Mixing wood furniture in living room

I have spent two days researching the rule of thumb in regards to mixing different wood colors in the living room.  I have an olive sofa with an area rug that has black,olive brown and rusty red shapes in it.  I was thinking of getting black tables and picture frames.  My dilemma is...I have found an entertainment center and library in a Bishop Pine Finish.  Do you think mixing the different wood finishes would look good or should I stay with one color

Thanks for the question.  I personally think mixing wood tones is a great look, particularly when you're talking about a very dark wood (or black) and a medium to light wood.  There's really no rule about this; it's up to your own good taste.  In other words, if you like the look then go for it.  

I think the number 2 decorating mistake that most make is trying to match everything. It doesn't look natural or comfortable. (In case you wonder, the number 1 mistake in my world is white walls!)

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology