Decorating & Furniture/Mixing wood furniture in living room

Question
I have spent two days researching the rule of thumb in regards to mixing different wood colors in the living room.  I have an olive sofa with an area rug that has black,olive brown and rusty red shapes in it.  I was thinking of getting black tables and picture frames.  My dilemma is...I have found an entertainment center and library in a Bishop Pine Finish.  Do you think mixing the different wood finishes would look good or should I stay with one color

Answer
Thanks for the question.  I personally think mixing wood tones is a great look, particularly when you're talking about a very dark wood (or black) and a medium to light wood.  There's really no rule about this; it's up to your own good taste.  In other words, if you like the look then go for it.  

I think the number 2 decorating mistake that most make is trying to match everything. It doesn't look natural or comfortable. (In case you wonder, the number 1 mistake in my world is white walls!)

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik