Decorating & Furniture/Mixing woods

I am trying to decorate my family room with a cottage style.  I am painting the walls a blue-grey shade (Laura Ashley Navy #4).I have white molding and trim.  We are having a white built in bookcase and entertainment center installed. I really like black wood tables and would like to use black end tables and a sofa table in the room. We happen to have an oak banister railing and oak cabinets in our kitchen which opens up into the family room. Would using black wood tables be mixing too many woods? I appreciate in advice you might have.

I just happened to be online when you submitted your question.  Talk about service!:>)

Mixing woods is fine.  Actually, adding black to any room is something I always recommend.  Black acts as an anchor, giving balance and harmony to any space.

Just be sure that your "style" of table is in keeping with the cottage feel.  That's actually more important than color in my mind.  

Thanks for writing and for your question.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology