Decorating & Furniture/Moroccan Theme

Dear Ms. Wojcik,

I have a small (approximately 13 X 15 ) spare bedroom that I want to decorate as a sitting room/guest bedroom with a Moroccan flair.  I have a twin bed against the wall in the room.  Until I am able to get a daybed frame, I want to use throw pillows to make it look like a sofa. What kinds of things do you suggest I do to give the room a moroccan flair.  I do have another spare bedroom so I can be a little flamboyant with this one.  My budget is extremely small so the ideas have to be economical.  I can sew a little (simple curtains, pillow covers, etc.).

I appreciate your assistance.

Am trying to "re-send" the answer I sent earlier.  Hope you get it this time.  (Sorry for the confusion.)

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for writing and for your question.  Start your project by painting the room a deep, rich color - perhaps a navy blue or an eggplant color.  If you don't care for navy or eggplant, consider using chocolate brown.

For the bed, cover it with a fringed or beaded duvet cover in a jewel tone color. (If you use any of the colors mentioned above, use a deep golden color for this.) You can easily make one from two full sized sheets sewn together and then add your own fringe or beaded trim, available at your local fabric store.  

Purchasing inexpensive remnants (from the fabric store) create your own pillows.  Make sure to grab some silks, some fancy and patterned fabrics and coordinate them with your duvet cover color.  Remember to work in jewel tone colors.

If you have windows to cover, swag layered fabrics over them rather than using traditional drapes.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology