Decorating & Furniture/Moroccan Theme

Question
Dear Ms. Wojcik,

I have a small (approximately 13 X 15 ) spare bedroom that I want to decorate as a sitting room/guest bedroom with a Moroccan flair.  I have a twin bed against the wall in the room.  Until I am able to get a daybed frame, I want to use throw pillows to make it look like a sofa. What kinds of things do you suggest I do to give the room a moroccan flair.  I do have another spare bedroom so I can be a little flamboyant with this one.  My budget is extremely small so the ideas have to be economical.  I can sew a little (simple curtains, pillow covers, etc.).

I appreciate your assistance.

Sincerely,

Jackie

Answer
Am trying to "re-send" the answer I sent earlier.  Hope you get it this time.  (Sorry for the confusion.)

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for writing and for your question.  Start your project by painting the room a deep, rich color - perhaps a navy blue or an eggplant color.  If you don't care for navy or eggplant, consider using chocolate brown.

For the bed, cover it with a fringed or beaded duvet cover in a jewel tone color. (If you use any of the colors mentioned above, use a deep golden color for this.) You can easily make one from two full sized sheets sewn together and then add your own fringe or beaded trim, available at your local fabric store.  

Purchasing inexpensive remnants (from the fabric store) create your own pillows.  Make sure to grab some silks, some fancy and patterned fabrics and coordinate them with your duvet cover color.  Remember to work in jewel tone colors.

If you have windows to cover, swag layered fabrics over them rather than using traditional drapes.

Jenny  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik