Decorating & Furniture/NYC living/dining room space with floor to ceiling windows

Bought a new apartment that has a 20x13 living/dining room that is framed
on one side by floor to ceiling windows. the kitchen is open to this area and
has a breakfast bar. i was thinking of setting the kitchen table by the
windows but im not sure. i was wondering if anyone had good decorating
ideas to make this a very inviting but cool space... colors, layout, etc would
be helpul... space is 20" long and 13" wide. oh my design style is on the
transitional/contemporary style. area will have hardwood floors and the
kitchen cabinets are dark wood so. most of my current furniture is also dark
wood. do you think a sectional sofa would work on this area or better off with
a couch and chairs? any help and ideas are very much appreciated. Should I
do accent walls or just paint everything in a neutral color and play with
accesories for color?

I'd suggest that you select two shades of the same color (your favorite) and use both colors throughout the space.  Take your focal point wall and paint it the darker shade, paint the non-focal point walls in the paler shade, and do this is both areas.  These need to be close to the same color to create some drama, so select something one or two positions apart on the color swatch.  

I'd defer to your judgement on the configuration of furniture only because I don't know if this is your final home or just a temporary stop along the way.  If you plan to stay in NYC in this apartment, then the sectional is a great investment.  If you think you may move - say from an apartment to a house, you're probably better off with individual furniture pieces because of their flexibility of movement and arrangement.  

Consider taupe.....or khaki for a great color with dark furnishings.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology