Decorating & Furniture/New Home, Furniture color

Question
Cindy,

We just bought a new home and it is a blank canvas. A L-shaped leather sectional would look perfect in our living area but I am not sure what is the right color
The wooden floors are dark (cheery), black doors, light beige paint (we plan to change), windows with white trim. It is a open floor plan with kitchen dinning and living room ( A long rectangular room, with good width). We would like to define the living area with a rug too.
We really liked a dark chocolate color contemporary leather sectional but I am not sure that it is a good idea to put a dark sectional with dark wood floors. Even though we plan to put a light color rug underneath. The other option would be to go for a light color sectional.
Is there anyway we could make the dark colored sectional work. I am afraid that once I add the accessories etc, it will turn out to be dark room, and I do want to add color through accessories. PLEASE HELP
Thanks

Answer
Dear nk,
A sectional in dark chocolate is a great idea.  Chocolate is very popular right now and can be paired with just about everything.  If you paint your walls, trim, and ceiling white and if you match the rug in the living room to that white you will not darken the room.  Later we will get to accessories.  Dark furniture on dark flooring enveloped ny white (walls and rug) and speckled with color (accessories) produces a dramatic and pleasing effect.  

For your walls you can choose Benjamin Moore "white diamond OC-61" or "dove wing OC-18".  For accessories chocolate goes with just about everything from light mocha, light blue, or flaming orange.  Take your pick.

When you buy the area rug for your living room make sure you buy a thick rug or, if there are no allergies in the family, check on rugs with a short shag (ask the manufacturer to tell you how easy they are to vacuum and to maintain.)  
This way your dark furniture on the white rug will seem to be floating on a white cloud!

Good luck with your decorating,
Cindy

Decorating & Furniture

Cindy Pagiatakis