Decorating & Furniture/New House

I just purchased my first home and it's being completely remodeled before I move in.  I'm totally overwhelmed.  My living room has mustard/taupe colored furniture w/plum, crimson and chocolate pillows, black iron tables w/marble tops, I'm painting the accent wall behind the couch plum and using black accents (wall mirror, candle holders, pictures, etc) but I am unsure what color to use on the other walls which will also be used in the hallway.  The floors are hardwood with rugs which have the same colors as the pillows.  The kitchen separates the living room from the den, it has beautiful light oak cabinets which I'll like to keep but I have an dark oak dining room set.  Not sure what color to go with on the flooring or the counter, was assuming I should purchase black appliances and have the flooring pull together dark brown, light brown and black.  Lastly, for the den I have dark choc. brown furniture w/dark oak tables w/marble tops.  Not sure what color to paint (taupe light or dark??)or carpet (taupe/cream??) shag?? to go with to make everything flow together. Again, the rooms are all open to each other.

Choosing colors is about balance and creating contrast and I am not sure how your room is laid out so its hard to give you any advice. It sounds like you created contrast with the plum wall near the taupe colored furniture. Maybe you can go with a light taupe color to contrast with the dark brown furniture in the den. This will also create balance to your open space.  

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book