Decorating & Furniture/New house

I recently moved into a townhome that is a raised ranch style with an english basement, the upstairs is very open with vaulted ceilings and lots of windows.  I painted the upstairs a light neutral tan color.

Running along one wall of the kitchen and around the corner down a short hallway is a built in plant shelf, the wall goes up 9 feet, then is inset about a foot and a half and reaches the angled part of the ceiling.  I want to put something up there, but I don't want to put the standard fake ivy plants that look kind of cheezy.  Is there an alternative?

The house is pretty much undecorated, so, I don't have to worry about matching a theme or anything.  I hope my explanation makes sense (it's so hard without being able to show a picture).  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Your explanation was great, and you gave me good background information.  Thanks for that.  

As for the shelf/alcove running around the ceiling, consider one or both of these; art objects (particularly colorful ones,) and/or low voltage lights.  The "rope"  lights that have been so popular of late would be a great addition, adding a touch of light at the ceiling.

While I don't think plants on a shelf are necessarily cheesy, they are dust catchers and require regular maintenance to make them appear "real".  

Otherwise, you could consider painting this portion of the wall a darker color - an accent shade - for some drama in the room.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology