Decorating & Furniture/New laminate wood flooring with existing wood

Question
Hi Rachel,

We currently just moved into a new home and are planning to install laminate flooring in the living room, which will serve as our central living space.  The living room also has a large (8 ft long) bay window with oak trim.  When you walk into the home, you step into the living room (window is on the same wall as the door, so you don't see it right away) and can see directly into the kitchen, which has oak cabinetry.  The kitchen is painted a light tan with tile flooring.  The living room is painted a dark tan with white trim.  

My question is:  can you have 2 different types of wood and still have it look good?  I am really struggling with trying to decide which type/color of the faux wood to use for the living room.  I absolutely LOVE cherry wood, but I am afraid that the oak cabinetry and trim will look cheap with it.  Eventually (probably in about 5 years), I would like to sand and stain the existing oak to a much darker shade, but for now, I have to leave it as is.  Also, if we go with cherry floors, what color furniture would work?  I've seen lighter floors with dark furniture, but does it work the other way around?  So many questions, but I want it to look comfortable and elegant at the same time!

Thanks,
Jesse

Answer
My first thought is to go with the cherry laminate wood in the living room and then to tie the kitchen in go with oak or similar color wood furniture. But if your going to stain the oak cabinets than you would need to stain your new furniture. So If you decide to go with cherry floors and oak furniture I would just leave the oak in the kitchen. I usually like to stick with 2 color woods and if I have to implement a third I go with a really dark wood or white. Hope this helps.

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID