Decorating & Furniture/Oak dining table

Question
My husband and I just purchased an oak dining table for our new home.  We purchased six chocolate leather chairs to match. My question to you is this, "Is this look too casual"?  We will likely only use the room for the holidays or big dinners?  The room is standard size, square, and divided by the formal living room with two posts.  Also, the room has tons of crown molding and two LARGE windows--new home and very contemporary.  I purchased silk window treatments, a beautiful vase, and framed Egyptian art work with gold frames, and painted the walls paprika.  Please tell me I am on the right track in creating a warm, casually chic dining space?

Answer
Thanks for writing, and congratulations on your new home and your furniture shopping spree.  

Oak is a bit more casual than say cherry, but it also has a warmth and texture that very few woods have.  It sounds as though you have succeeded in creating a casual, chic dining space.  

When you want a bit more formality (if you ever do) consider using a beautiful scarf or runner for the table.  You can also successfully use a tablecloth that drapes to the floor for a very elegant look.  

And I love the paprika walls!  Way to go.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik