Decorating & Furniture/Old English Tudor/Old English Walls

QUESTION: We are considering purchasing a previously owned home.  We love the floor plan and know exactly what to do with every room but one.

According to HGTV, we are transitional in our décor, clean lines, beiges, browns and classic style.  The home we are looking at is an Old English Tudor.  It has a fabulous great room with a huge stone fireplace and plenty of space.  The down side is that all 4 walls are covered with wood.  Not paneling but that old English country club look where you have big blocks of wood crossed by straight smaller skinner pieces of wood. (I hope that makes sense, because I have no idea how to explain it.)

It makes the room extremely dark.  We are trying to figure out if we can paint it and what it would look like if we did. Does it really work, or would we need to tear it down and re-drywall the room.

It is holding us up on offering for the house and any help you can give us is very appreciated.

ANSWER: If the wall is wood, I'd opt to lighten it by stripping it and restaining it in a lighter shade of stain.  (It sounds like inlaid wood.)  Painting it is an option, although I don't usually recommend painting solid wood because it hides the beautiful texture and grain.  

It's your choice - paint or restain, but I wouldn't demolish it and drywall the space.

QUESTION: I hear what you are saying, but we are talking about a 30 x 15 room with two story walls on 3 sides.  And the wood is currently really dark, like a walnut color.  Can that really be stripped?  I think it is still going to be dark.

I think it might be plywood with real wood pieces, can you even strip plywood?

The short answer is yes, it can be stripped, but stripping is a huge job and plywood doesn't hold up well painted OR stained.  

If you don't mind painting wood, then by all means paint it in your favorite color.  If you do, be sure to prime it first and then add two coats to prevent bleed through.

Good luck!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology