Decorating & Furniture/Orange walls green carpet

Question
I saw a question you answered to a woman looking to paint some walls to go with a hunter green carpet.  I have found myself in a similar situation where i cannot afford to replace the hunter green carpet in my bedroom.  I want my room to feel warm and so the idea of orange excited me, however im not sure what shade to make it.  I feel that if i go too dark it makes the room to small, but if i go to bright it becomes overbearing.  I would appreciate any help you could give me regarding either a good shade of orange or another warm color to use.  Thank you.

Answer
Orange is a warm color -- a "happy" color according to the color experts, and since it is a shade of red, it is the color opposite of green.  What that basically means in designer terms is that you can use red and green together successfully.  You're absolutely right about the shade or hue of the orange.  Stay away from dark - stay away from extremely pale; instead look for a peachy or melon tone.  Those shades complement skin-tone, are warm and friendly and because they're orange shades, happy.

If you change your mind about the peach/melon, you're warm and safe with taupe or camel.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik