Decorating & Furniture/Outdoor "hanging" bed....

I saw an article about decorating a porch.  It featured a double bed that was suspended from the ceiling of the porch w/chains. It looked like the most relaxing thing I have ever seen!

Anyway, I lost the article and was wondering if you have ever heard of this type bed... to purchase or how to make it?  It would probably be fairly easy to make, but buying it (if available) would be oh so much better!

Thanks a bunch!

Hi Christy,

You're right - it would be awesome to buy one.  The bad news is that I've never seen one advertised anywhere, although I do know of a few creative types who recycled their twin beds in this manner.  They made a simple "slatted slab" out of MDF, drilled holes in 4 corners and secured it with chain (like a porch swing) attaching it to the cross beams of the porch via rings.  

If you do this, make sure you have the proper support above, a good roof overhead and enjoy the summer nights outdoors!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology