Decorating & Furniture/Pain colors

I want to paint my son's room who is 10 years old.  we just bought the house and there is a forest green rug in his room.  the rug is only 1 year old and i would rather not pull it up.  what color can i paint the walls to go with the rug?

Thanks for writing and for your question.  Forest green is a wonderful neutral color and most every other color will coordinate with it.  Depending on your 10 year old's interests, you may want to pair the green carpet with a color that coordinates with his interests.  If you want something neutral, use a modest taupe (Glidden's Toasty Grey is my favorite).  Since green is an earthy color, it works well with all shades of red (it's color opposite) including terra cotta, nutmeg and other spicey shades.  You can use a medium blue hue, creating a very "cool" atmosphere or you can use a lighter shade of green for a monochromatic (overall one-color) look.  Forest green can be successfully paired with all the autumnal colors and with pale yellow.

PS:  I always encourage parents to ask their kids what color they'd like.  You may be surprised.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology