Decorating & Furniture/Paint

I have a small house.  I am going to be selling it soon and would like to spruce things up a bit and increase my chances of selling.  I have light brown carpet in all rooms (except kitchen and bathrooms) and plain white walls.  I have a hunter green sectional sofa and my wood furnishings are oak.  How can I make my rooms look bigger and more appealing?  The color paint for my walls is very important to me.  Also, what is your take on floral print curtains?  My couch is solid green with no pattern.  How many pictures per wall is acceptable?  I don't want to look overdone, however, I don't want it to look bare either.  Any suggestions will be helpful!

Dear Jeanie,
   Are you wanting to paint your walls? Since you are selling it soon I would have it painted an off white, this is the most appealing to people who are looking to buy. I would try to keep the space simple and not overdone. It is hard to say how many pieces of artwork to put up without seeing your space. I personally dont prefer to use floral fabric for curtians, because most floral patterns are busy and curtains are alot of fabric. This takes your eye away from the view out the windows. Its good if this is what you are trying to do. I would use a stripe fabric that goes horizontal to make the space feel wider and more open. Possibly use a fabric that has some hunter green and then use the same fabric on the curtains for pillows on the sofa. I would love to see pictures, this will let me help you alot more.

Rachel Mallon

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book