Decorating & Furniture/Paint

Question
How can I make a very narrow hallway 30" wide with 9 1/2 feet high ceilings appear wider.  If I painted the ceiling and a couple of feet down the wall the same color to help lower the ceilng, would that just make the entire area seem smaller.  Where should I use different colors?  Darker top lighter on the bottom, or what?  Would Horizontal stripes help?
Thanks

Answer
Hi Jan,

Great question - thanks for writing. Here are some suggestions that will help you achieve your goal.  Remember that the eye is always drawn to color, so you put color where you want the emphasis to be.  

First, paint the end wall of the hallway in a dark color.  This draws the eye to that end.  

Add mirrors or mirrored tile to one wall.  This will visually double the space.  To lower the ceiling, add wainscotting or chair railing, paint the ceiling darker than the walls or add decorative molding to visually divide the walls and ceiling.

Horizontal stripes will help too.  Just make sure they are larger rather than smaller, as small things in small spaces tend to make the entire space appear "small".

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik