Decorating & Furniture/Paint Color

Question
I like a neutral background on the walls. We are taking off all the wallpaper in our home and painting the walls and also painting our dark woodwork throughout the house. I am being told by so many people to use darker colors on the walls to make the room warm. I tend to like neutral colors on walls, floors and furnishings and add color with valances and acessories. I have no expert idea of what I am doing. Do you think a white paint on the woodwork and a slightly darker paint (still in the white family) would be ok? I am being pressured to pick out something soon. Everyday I change my mind, but I always go back to my original colors.  HELP PLEASE, IF YOU CAN.  

Answer

Marion,

You are right in staying with a neutral color for your walls, especially if you are unsure of color.  BUT...Just because you want to stay neutral DOES NOT mean white or even off-white.  Every single color in the world has a neutral - even black.  Gray is the neutral of black.  

Keep your woodwork and trim moldings white.  Use a darker shade for your walls to give depth and dimension to the space.  If you're afraid of COLOR, then at least use taupe.  Glidden's Toasty Grey is a beautiful shade of taupe, and a perfect neutral.  

Thanks for writing and for your questions.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik