Decorating & Furniture/Paint Color with Cherry Cabinets

Question
Jenny,
I am excited to get your opinion on this. My husband and I are building a new house with a very open floor plan. We are trying to pick all the paint colors ourselves and it will be painted in about 2 weeks. We love color and a contemporary style. Our house has an open 2 story foyer, 2 story great room, and kitchen. The other rooms are closed off from each other. As background info - here are the colors we have picked on the main level so far:

Main living/foyer - Taupe
Office - Deep red/burgundy
Powder room - Burnt orange
Laundry room - Pale yellow
Master bedroom - ?
Master bath - ?
Kitchen - ?

We have a Kandinski canvas that will be hanging in an art niche above the fireplace. It has all major colors in it, which is where we are pulling the other colors from.

What we are having difficulty with is the kitchen paint color. It is completely open to the living area/foyer with an island in between. In the kitchen we will have light cherry cabinets (like a spicy color, not dark), same color cherry hardwood floor, granite counters in a dark, almost black color with greenish specks, stainless steel appliances, and a tile backsplash that we haven't picked yet. One end of the kitchen is the dining area with a slider out to the deck. We are having a hard time deciding if we should keep it taupe like the living area, or use another color to set it off. And if so, what color looks best with what we have?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide!!

P.S. Do you have a webpage or business in case we need more help? :)

Lindy

Answer
Consider an earthy shade of green - anything from sage to celery for the kitchen.  It's a great combo with the deep reds and will work nicely with the taupe.  

As for your bedroom/bath, I'd "repeat" color rather than select all new ones for a more consistent overall look.  You may want to consider toning down the red and using it for the bedroom (very dramatic), pulling the taupe into the bath with touches of the red from the bedroom and accessorizing with tiny touches of the yellows you are using in the other parts of the house.

The best way to reach me is through this site. It's the only free advice I tend to give :>)

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik