Decorating & Furniture/Paint Color for dining room

My house was built in 1984.  I have wood trim.  We are trying to update our home.

My friend, who has some experience with decorating, has suggested a medium green for my dining room (we have mahogany furniture.)  I'm not really a green person (my china has green in it), but I think it would be pretty and I could get used to it.  Should I paint it solid?  Maybe faux paint green on top of the Navajo White I have?
Or I like Windsor Castle (a kind of goldish tan) that I could faux on top of the Navajo White - maybe a green accent wall behind the china cabinet?)

I can't decide, which makes nothing happen.

Please advise.

Susan :o)

Hi Susan,

Thanks for writing and for your question.  First of all, congrats on deciding to paint the walls and add beautiful rich color!  

If you don't care for green, then don't surround yourself with it.  I agree that a medium green would be a cool, calm and relaxing color for the dining area, but I don't paint walls colors that I don't like.  I have to live with the colors I choose, as do you, so think seriously about it.

If you like the goldish tan that you mention, then paint the walls that color.  I'd go solid, rather than faux, unless you want to "faux" only one wall as an accent.  If so, make that the predominant wall (the natural focal point wall of the room) and use 3 colors, not JUST the white plus one.  If you opt to faux finish even one wall, visit for detailed instructions and a wealth of information on how to accomplish the look you want.  Remember too that the color you apply LAST will be the color you see the most of.  

Hope this helps you.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology