Decorating & Furniture/Paint color for open concept kitchen/living room

Hi!  We are in the process of building our first home.  It is rather small, but will be ours none the less and we are very excited.  I am trying to decide on color for the walls for the living room/kitchen (around 28' X 16' combined).  The kitchen will have light oak cabinets.  We want to go with a chili pepper/Mexican decor in the kitchen.  Two thoughts for the walls would be a rich red or maybe a gold/yellow glazed look.  We do want it to be warm and inviting not cool, but we don't know much about decorating and would love help.  We really appreciate it.

Thanks for writing.  Actually either color will work in the space.  Both are appropriate for the Mexican decor.  The red is bolder and more exciting, while the gold/glazed is a bit more calming.  If it were me, I'd probably opt for the red and add accents of the gold as well as terra cotta.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology