Decorating & Furniture/Paint color for open concept kitchen/living room

Question
Hi!  We are in the process of building our first home.  It is rather small, but will be ours none the less and we are very excited.  I am trying to decide on color for the walls for the living room/kitchen (around 28' X 16' combined).  The kitchen will have light oak cabinets.  We want to go with a chili pepper/Mexican decor in the kitchen.  Two thoughts for the walls would be a rich red or maybe a gold/yellow glazed look.  We do want it to be warm and inviting not cool, but we don't know much about decorating and would love help.  We really appreciate it.

Answer
Thanks for writing.  Actually either color will work in the space.  Both are appropriate for the Mexican decor.  The red is bolder and more exciting, while the gold/glazed is a bit more calming.  If it were me, I'd probably opt for the red and add accents of the gold as well as terra cotta.  

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik