Decorating & Furniture/Paint for fireplace

I have a slate fireplace which is currently painted black.  It's in a narrow room and, although it looks great, it makes the room look even narrower, and I'd like to paint it a lighter colour, probably stone colour, so that it appears to recede a little.  Can you advise me on what kind of paint I should use?

Hi Liz, Clean the slate throughly first with TSp and then let it dry. Then use a primer/sealer on the slate so the paint will adhere to it.  Look for something like Zinseer's 1-2-3 or even a product like Kilz or Binz.  Ask at your local paint store what type they suggest.

Once you have sealed it, then you can use a latex or oil-based paint to get the lighter color you need.  You could even create a faux finish if you like to create a marble or stone look to it.  There are many sites on the Internet that can guide you through the process.  Happy Decorating, JoAnne Lenart-Weary  

Decorating & Furniture

JoAnne Lenart-Weary

I can answer anything that is decorating related. Wall and window treatments, color, furniture, placement, where to begin with a decorating plan, etc.

Almost 30 years as an interior decorator and 4 years of teaching professional workshops to other interior decorators/designers and interior redesigners. Board member for IRIS www.weredesign, founder of ODDAA (One Day Decorating Alumni Association) Weekly guest for ABC affiliate in Erie, Pa. Have also been on HGTV

Baby Talk Magazine
Many newspapers