Decorating & Furniture/Painting

Question
I have a large room that contains my livingroom and also diningroom and you can see the kitchen.  I love the open floor space because I'm not secluded in the kitchen.  However I would like to paint and I'm just not sure what would be a good color to accent my cabinets and my hardwood floors.  

My cabinets are a whitewashed maple, hardwood floors are natural white oak and my furniture is tan.  I have a kakhi green on the walls right now and I'm tired of looking at it.  I want some welcoming colors.  I really don't like dark colors such as forest green or dark blues.

Please help.  I would appreciate any advice you could give me.  

Answer
Teresa,

What you describe (cabinets, floor, furnishings) is basically monochromatic (one color - different shades).  I also understand that you're tired of khaki green.  Unless you want to keep things monochromatic, use a "medium" rather than dark shade of your favorite color.  Blues and greens are cool tones; yellows and reds are warm tones.  Warm tones are by nature more welcoming, so look in that color family for something perfect.  

My first vision for you was cranberry or lavendar - both from the red family.  Yellows would work too, if you use a medium shade rather than something pale and washed out.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik