Decorating & Furniture/Painting 2 rooms with a common wall

I have a new home that has all white walls. I would like to paint the living room and the dining room colonial colors. The problem is that the front wall runs the length of the house (44 feet)from the living room through the foyer and through the dining room. The only breaks are for windows and doors. There isn't a natural break in this wall to end one color and start another.  We have thought of painting this wall a color that would go with both room choices. Perhaps a beige to go with the deep red and colonial blue or green we were thinking of using in the LR and DR. Any ideas?

Thanks for the question!  I think you're on the right track with choosing a neutral color for the L O N G wall.  I'd suggest that you consider either a khaki color or a taupe.  Either of these will go much better with the deep red and colonial greens/blues that you're considering.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology