Decorating & Furniture/Painting

I have a couple of questions about painting the trim inside my house.  I recently rented a home in Hawaii that has Knotty Pine walls throughout the entire house.  I don't like it but since I am renting I have to make the best out of it.  The only thing that I can change is to paint the trim, which is currently a light pink in every room.  I would like to really add color and I am thinking about dark blue in the living room, an earthy green in the kitchen, white in the bathroom, red in one bedroom, dark green in another bedroom, and I am undecided about the third bedroom.  These colors go with the decoration of each room.  My husband told me that I had to scrape the paint off the trim, prime, and repaint.  Do I have to do all this or can I just paint over the existing paint?  It is all in good condition, not peeling or anything.  My other question is how do I paint the doorways into these rooms from the hallway?  It is a long hallway that is all Knotty Pine and the door to each of the three bedrooms and the bathroom come off of it.  I don't know if you should paint the doorway trim the color of the room and have all those different colors showing in your hallway?  Or if you should paint all the doorways a neutral color but then have a different doorway trim in the room than the trim that is around the window?  Or do you split the door way with color somehow?  There is only one window in each room and one closet, so the only trim I am painting is around the doorway, window, and closet.  Because we don't have AC the doors have to be open to move air.  

Aloha, and mahalo for the question.  Typically, trim inside a home are all the same, and while I understand your need for color with all that knotty pine, you may opt to add it through fabric or accessories rather than paint.

If you do opt for painting each room, you do not have to scrape the old paint off (unless there are spots that are peeling) and can simply paint over the existing paint.  

I'd keep the doors all the same.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology