Decorating & Furniture/Painting a Master Bedroom w/Vaulted Ceiling and Dormers

I have a large master bedroom (15 x 24) with one side having both a long and low (to 5 ft at bottom)vaulted ceiling and two dormers.  The total ceiling height is quite high (18ft).  I want to paint the two dormers a different color than the rest of the room, and pain the vaulted ceiling, up to the point that is goes "flat" the same color as the rest of the walls.  Should I paint the dormers a darker color or lighter color than the rest of the room, and should I paint the vaulted ceiling the same color as the dormers, or the color of the othe three walls?  

The dormers are a natural focal point by design, so you really don't have to accent them with color.  If you choose to, that's fine.  Since the dormers are on the shorter wall, you may be able to visually elongate that line by painting them  a lighter shade of the ceiling color.  (Painting the ceiling darker will bring the eye to the ceiling, so if you want to accentuate the natural height of the ceiling, paint it darker.)

Remember....the eye always goes to color.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology