Decorating & Furniture/Painting a Narrow Living Room

Hi - My step-down living room is narrow 12'x24'. It has 1 long wall with a fire place in the middle of it.  The ceiling has tongue and groove honey oak wood (faux cathedral ceiling created by the step-down). All walls are painted white with a beige carpet. The windows are trimmed in the same honey oak trim.  My question, is there a color that will make it look more inviting without closing it in?  We also live in the woods, so it is dark in the summer time.  The furniture in the room is a light honey leather color - so lots of neutral and no color.  I am not much on decorating, but like a homey feel and more on the country/traditional side.

Hey Robin, you have a nice neutral scheme to work with. You can pretty much go with a variety of colors for your living room. I did a rendering of your space and chose the best three paint colors that I think will work with your space.

Terra Cotta: My favorite because it really highlights your wood and furniture while adding more color to the room.

Soft yellow: If you don't want to add too much color and you want to keep it light.

Light Blue: The blue color brings in a nice contrast to all the warm colors.

If none of these colors look good to you let me know what other color ideas you have and I can put it into the rendering to help you visualize the space. Also if I have the colors of your space all wrong, please e-mail me photos and I can adjust accordingly. Good Luck!

Rachel Mallon

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book