Decorating & Furniture/Painting Oak

I am purchasing a home that is very dated and need to know if it is possible to paint oak without seeing the grain in the wood?  Also, I would like to have the Oak floors stained Black.  Is that also possible and what is the process?

Any wood can be painted or stained if properly primed.  That means (in both cases) light sanding (to retooth the surface so it will accept paint) cleaning with a soft damp cloth and then cover the surface with a tinted primer (tinted to your choice in color).  Once your primer has dried for 24 hours, you can add your top coats.

For oak floors stained black, eliminate the primer and stain instead.  Finish the stain with several coats of poly for a glossy shine.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology