Decorating & Furniture/Painting Open Floor Plan

Hi there! My house is an extreme open floor plan. From the moment you come in the door the entry way (2 story) is open to the study (to the left) the living room (straight ahead) and the stairwell (to the right). And the living room (2 story) is very open to the kitchen. My problem is I want to paint my living room, entry, stairwell and upstairs open areas. Currently they are builder white (yuk). My kitchen is a very nice medium taupe with sage green valances (white cabinets & countertops) and the study is sage green. The problem is trying to come up with a color that is not too boring for this one big contiguous area. I would like to do a lighter shade of taupe and maybe an accent wall (in the living room) of burgundy. My couches are taupe leather with burgundy throw pillows and there is an area rug of black, taupe and burgundy. The carpet is light beige. My husband thinks the whole house will look tan plus I worry about how the color will look next to the taupe of the kitchen. Also, with the living room having a 20 foot ceiling, there will be a lot of that color. I could possibly re-paint the kitchen but I have no clue what color. Any ideas would be great appreciated.

The greens, the burgandy and the taupe will all work well together.  While I don't know what color taupe you have in the kitchen, check out my favorite Glidden Toasty Grey (Taupe) and consider that for the common areas.  I love the thought of the accent wall in burgandy.  You could even lean a bit toward the purple side for an accent wall.  

Repeating color throughout the home is a great way to tie it all together.  Using your three color combination, you should have a beautiful home.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology