Decorating & Furniture/Painting with Taupe

Question
I am currently undergoing a makeover on my living room area. I have decided to paint half the living room in taupe and the other half in an oat straw color. I just don't know if I am doing the right thing. My furniture fabric is like a corduroy brown with paisley accents. And my bookshelves and framed artwork are black. My floors are hardwood and I have white shuttered window coverings. Any suggestions would be tremendously appreciated with what I have to work with. Thank you.

Answer
The color combination sounds fine.  I'm just wondering why you would choose to paint half one color and half another, but that's totally up to you and your own tastes.  

Taupe (and oat/straw) will serve as a beautiful backdrop, and should contrast nicely with the white window coverings.  

Since you are working in all neutrals, you should consider adding a punch of vibrant color to the space, taking your cues from what's around you.  If your paisley accents have a vibrant color in them, consider using that color in either a large rug, throw pillows or accessories.  If the paisley is in the brown family, consider punching up the scheme with a bright blue, a red or even a yellow.  

Hope this helps.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik