Decorating & Furniture/Painting with Taupe

I am currently undergoing a makeover on my living room area. I have decided to paint half the living room in taupe and the other half in an oat straw color. I just don't know if I am doing the right thing. My furniture fabric is like a corduroy brown with paisley accents. And my bookshelves and framed artwork are black. My floors are hardwood and I have white shuttered window coverings. Any suggestions would be tremendously appreciated with what I have to work with. Thank you.

The color combination sounds fine.  I'm just wondering why you would choose to paint half one color and half another, but that's totally up to you and your own tastes.  

Taupe (and oat/straw) will serve as a beautiful backdrop, and should contrast nicely with the white window coverings.  

Since you are working in all neutrals, you should consider adding a punch of vibrant color to the space, taking your cues from what's around you.  If your paisley accents have a vibrant color in them, consider using that color in either a large rug, throw pillows or accessories.  If the paisley is in the brown family, consider punching up the scheme with a bright blue, a red or even a yellow.  

Hope this helps.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology