Decorating & Furniture/Painting Walls ... choosing colors ... curtains

I have a sea green colored carpet, which I'm going to keep. However I am planning on changing the wallpaper and go with paint and also change the curtains. The furniture is Teak .. so its a medium brown color.

Now the thing is I want to be able to change my bedsheets to different color combinations and pattern. Currently I am hampered by the fact that both my wallpaper and curtain has a pattern on it. So I have to stick with solid colors.

I don't want to go too neutral..hey I think its very boring staring at white or ash white or off white walls lol...have too many of those around the house. So I want my room to have more personality.

For the curtain I'm thinking may be white flowy chiffon. Should I just cover half the window as opposed to the curtain going to the ground? I have a small room so I assume this might give it more of a cleaner look?

For the walls ... now thats the confusing part. Too many options :)

May be a very light soft sea green (I love the color), or I can highlight one wall in a peach color and the rest (? don't want to do cream). I like purple as well but may be not for the walls. Definitely don't want to use blues. So that's one thing I'm sure about :)

Ok so the main problem I think is I want walls with personality and yet I want to be able to use color and pattern around the room (bedsheets etc) which will go more with a neutral color.

So any ideas?

Thanx so much!!!!!!!!

If you're happy with the carpet color, why not use a color close to the same for the walls.  If you do that, you open up all opportunities to add prints, florals, plaids etc.  to your accessories.  

Secondly, windows always look larger when treated with a draped fabric from top to the floor.  Chopping off the fabric at the base of the window chops off the flow and chops off the "look" of the window.

Find a patterned fabric that incorporates all the colors you like (the green, the purple, peach etc.) and you'll be happy with the result.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology