Decorating & Furniture/Painting Walls

Question
I am in a quandary about whether or not to paint the intake registers and switch/outlet plates in my home.  My thought was that I didn't want to bring attention to them especially the big intake registers. But my son insists that they should be painted white - always.  Is there some rule about this?  Or is it just a matter of preference?  

Answer
Thanks for the question. The simple answer is that there are no rules about this.  My feeling is that the intake registers especially are visual eyesoars when left alone or simply painted white.  Switch and outlet plates don't bother me as much, but I'd rather not draw attention to them either.  Another opportunity here is the decorated and hand-painted ones that are readily available at most discount and home improvement stores.  

My apologies to your son, but I disagree with him.  And I applaud you for your design sensibilities about "drawing attention" to the register covers.  You are 100% correct in thinking that by leaving them white, that's exactly what happens.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik