Decorating & Furniture/Painting the bedroom with color

Hi Jenny,
 I would like to paint my bedroom with a color but I wonder if it will look odd when the walls and door leading to the bedroom are not the same color. I am unsure as to whether to paint the trim to match furniture or to paint it lighter. I want to decorate in country style and I have white lamps for the bedside tables and plan to make the bedside tables kind of an indigo blue. The curtains are tab top in navy. My idea is to use blue and white throughout the house. I really have tons more to ask you but I think this is enough for the first time. Thank you for your time and effort,

Ann Kitay

Thanks for writing and for your questions.  I'm happy to hear you want to add some color in your life, and that you already have an idea of the style you want to follow.  

Since this is a bedroom, consider using a pale yellow - something buttery in color rather than dark.  Yellow is a natural when it comes to being paired with all shades of blue.  

As for your woodwork and trim, keep it white and keep it the same throughout the house.  Woodwork, which includes doors, door facings, moldings etc. is the one thing that is best if all done the same.  

Write whenever you run up on a dilema.  I'm here to help.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology