Decorating & Furniture/Painting a buffet

I have a wood buffet which is veneer covered. I would like to paint it that beautiful black color I see on so much furniture in the Pottery Barn catalogue. It has a slight sheen but is not shiny per se and sometimes it is distressed around the edges of the drawers and doors. Do I use a black laquer? Do I use latex paint then a clear satin varnish? And whatever I use, would I use the same technique on a small tab;e which is right now painted?  

You must first sand the surface, then clean it with a slightly damp cloth (to remove any grit), then prime with KILZ (available at Home Depot/Lowes) and allow that to dry overnight.  Use a black lacquer paint, apply two coats and then varnish for a high luster.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology