Decorating & Furniture/Painting carpet

Question
Yes, I saw on an episode of "Trading Spaces" where they actually painted some indoor/outdoor carpet to keep from replacing it. Can you really do this? And do you use a certain kind of paint? Wouldn't the paint make the carpet hard and even more uncomfortable to walk on?
Thanks for your time.
Lisa C

Answer
Yes, you're right.  Almost anything "can" be painted, but the result is varying depending on what type of carpet, the type paint used and the preferences you have about how things look and feel.  

More than likely a "fabric" or "cloth" medium was added to the paint, allowing it to adhere to the material.  This is true of fabric paints that you find in craft stores; it's paint with a medium added.  The medium is what adheres the pigment to the fabric and softens the fibers somewhat.  The paint does harden the carpet, making it rough to walk on.

I've painted linoleum flooring, sub-floors and concrete floors, but carpet?  No.  

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik