Decorating & Furniture/Painting and decorating with dark coloured furniture

Hi Jenny,

My boyfriend and I are moving into an apartment together.  The living room is some where around 12 X 15 (so not very big) and our furniture consists of a chocolate brown sofa, chocolate brown chair and our coffee table and end tables are also dark wood... what would you suggest for colour so that the room doesn't feel like a dungeon?  The style of our furniture is contemporary and there is also a big window that over looks a golf course.  We like blues and greens but really we aren't too picky as long as it's not stark white!

One of my favorite color combinations is chocolate brown and icy blue.  This is beautiful when paired with off-white or even stark white.  Since everything is "solid" you may want to try and find a geometric pattern in brown, blue, beige.  That shouldn't be a problem since the colors are popular now.  

Pale icy green works too, but the blue is the optimum WOW.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology