Decorating & Furniture/Painting and decorating with dark coloured furniture

Question
Hi Jenny,

My boyfriend and I are moving into an apartment together.  The living room is some where around 12 X 15 (so not very big) and our furniture consists of a chocolate brown sofa, chocolate brown chair and our coffee table and end tables are also dark wood... what would you suggest for colour so that the room doesn't feel like a dungeon?  The style of our furniture is contemporary and there is also a big window that over looks a golf course.  We like blues and greens but really we aren't too picky as long as it's not stark white!

Thanks!
Jenn

Answer
One of my favorite color combinations is chocolate brown and icy blue.  This is beautiful when paired with off-white or even stark white.  Since everything is "solid" you may want to try and find a geometric pattern in brown, blue, beige.  That shouldn't be a problem since the colors are popular now.  

Pale icy green works too, but the blue is the optimum WOW.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik