Decorating & Furniture/Painting furniture

Question
Hi Banjamin!

I have some bookcases that i want to paint over. They're the "assemble-your-self" kind that you get at walmart/target etc.
Im not sure what kind of wood they are ..but Im assuming that all this wood is always some sort of treated/finished wood. (It has that smooth fake wood glaze... if you know what im talking about).

Can i just paint over this stuff? or do i have to do something to it first?

Thanks !

Nid.  

Answer
Nidhi,

Thanks for writing. The faux wood is sometimes tricky to paint because the paint will first run on the smooth surface, then what is left of it that drys will peal off just by looking at it the wrong way.

What you will need to do is sand the surface wth sandpaper, then prime it, then paint it...then pray!

But is you sand it, it should work. The main thing is to rough it up a bit and get the high gloss finish off of it.

Good luck.

Ben

Decorating & Furniture

Benjamin Cottrell